Info

Primal Endurance Podcast

Welcome to The Primal Endurance Podcast, where we challenge the ineffective, overly stressful conventional approach to endurance training and provide a refreshing, sensible, healthy, fun alternative. Going primal frees you from carbohydrate dependency and turns you into a fat burning beast! Enjoy interviews from elite athletes, coaches, authors and scientists on the cutting edge of endurance training and performance.
RSS Feed Subscribe in iTunes
Primal Endurance Podcast
2017
June
May
April
March
February
January


2016
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May
April
March
February
January


2015
December
November
October
September
August
July
June
May


All Episodes
Archives
Now displaying: Page 1
Jan 18, 2017

Host Brad Kearns welcomes back Dr. Cate for part two of their meeting together. She has been hard at work preparing the launch of her revised and updated bestseller Deep Nutrition, originally published in 2008 and is relaunching a 512-page masterpiece in 2017. Cate gives you the straight scoop on her favorite topics, particularly the disastrous misinformation about dietary fats that has been entrenched in conventional wisdom for decades. Cate details why "natural fats" are so critical to human health, and how refined high polyunsaturated vegetable oils are directly responsible for hundreds of thousands of premature deaths annually. They disrupt normal cellular function immediately upon ingestion, increase oxidative stress throughout the body, and damage brain function in particular; this is the #1 disease catalyst in modern life, an underlying factor in every chronic disease study. 

Cate outs conventional wisdom as conducting a massive experiment to "feed modern humans the cheapest possible food and see what will happen." She outs researcher Ancel Keys as the dude who drove us toward bad fats and away from healthy fats ("he knew he was wrong too!" laments Cate). Speaking of losing weight, refined polyunsaturated vegetable oils are more likely to be stored and less likely to be burned than natural fats. In summary, here's how to save your life and optimize your health: Ditch refined high polyunsaturated vegetable oils (watch out when dining out; most restaurant food--fast food to fine dining--is soaked in these gnarly oils); eat more natural fats (eggs, meat, cheese, coconut products, olives/olive oil, avocados/avocado oil, etc.).

Cate also gets talking about carbs and says timing is important: breakfast carbs are muy mal noticias, while post-exercise carbs are okay to replenish glycogen and meet basic glucose needs of at least 30-60g/day. while 100g/day is a good max to observe. Also if you are going keto, note that both excess fat and protein are going to block ketone production.

 

What does sugar do that makes it so bad for us? [00:01:00]

What does it mean that 60-80 percent of our diet is sugars and vegetable oils, leaving only 20 percent for the nutritious food? [00:03:16] 

What are the four pillars of diet that Dr. Cate describes? [00:04:27] 

How does Dr. Cate describe fat burning, especially for the athlete? [00:06:44] 

How can we get some of that fat off when we want to? [00:11:26] 

After exercise is it okay to consume carbs? [00:13:17] 

What are her thoughts about the timing of the meals? [00:17:23] 

 So it is okay to eat carbs? [00:18:56]

What do they mean by "insulin bath?" [00:21:40] 

Does fasting help in becoming a fat burner? [00:24:54]

0 Comments